Wednesday, June 25, 2008

He's off sides! He's lining up off sides!!

For those of you who read the title and think this post is going to be about football, you might as well stop reading. That quote is from one of my favorite movies, Remember the Titans (let's face it, almost anything with Denzel is 'good', plus it has an awesome soundtrack). Anyway, as I was driving to work this morning I encountered a situation where I said that in my head but I would need to substitute some words in.

My commute to the office is pretty boring considering I only use three streets, but today one of them was backed up because they're resurfacing it and that made for some interesting construction-worker watching. One guy tried to stretch beyond his limit to avoid 'foot-printing' a surface he had just smoothed, and let's just say he didn't quite make it. I felt bad for him considering he'd have to do it over but that's another story for another time.

I've learned that on streets where there are two lanes going each direction, it's a lose-lose situation. Basically because if you're in the right lane, you have people slowing and making right-hand turns, and if you're in the left lane, you have people trying to cross traffic, but the lesser of the evils is most definitely the right hand lane so I usually stay in that lane unless it's pretty clear in the other one (I think that's a run-on sentence, but, I don't care).

There are a lot of one way streets in Dallas. A lot...probably more than there should be (especially Downtown--where I was headed) and as I was be-bopping along, this woman in front of me slowed down to make a right hand turn. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, however, she was trying to turn and go the wrong direction down a one-way street. I looked in my rear-view to see if I could get over, but sadly I couldn't, so I had to sit there while this woman tried to do the impossible. Fortunately for the woman there was a man in a big 'ole truck that was sitting at the stop light and keeping her from going down this potentially disastrous road. He was waving his arms, pointing at the 'one-way' sign and mouthing something (I can only hope that they were nice words of rebuke instead of...some not so nice ones), but this is where I thought 'Wrong way! You're trying to go the wrong way!!' (see first paragraph to imagine how I said it). Well, the lady realized (not soon enough in my opinion) what she was trying to do and went down the road some more until she could make a right-hand turn.

This got me thinking, how often in my life do I try to go the wrong way down some street and there are some warnings signs (maybe not a guy yelling and pointing...but signs) that I just completely ignore and continue on my merry and doomed way?

Lots! Most of the time the warning sign is my conscience saying 'Rebekah...this isn't going to turn out well.' Or, 'Rebekah...is God going to like this?' The little signs are God's way of saying stop. Turn around. Come back to me. Don't go there! His Word says it as well.

Maybe we should look at what path we're on and make sure it's the narrow one.

Just as a side note, I have driven the wrong way down a busy road...with 4 screaming girls in the car...not good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails