Tuesday, August 18, 2009

disappearing act

Have you ever wanted to disappear? Just drop all your responsibilities and obligations and run off into the sunset never to be seen or heard from again? One of my friends posted this interesting link on Facebook last night and I found it uber-intriguing. It's a Wired magazine article on what it takes for a person's identity to disappear.

Well, the author of the article, Evan Ratliff, has pulled a little vanishing act of his own (all planned of course). It's basically a real-life 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?". He 'disappeared' from San Francisco on August 15th and is trying to 'stay hidden' for 30 days without being found. I guess he's doing it to see if it can actually be done.

The winner of the contest gets $5,000. All you have to do to win is get a picture of him and say the code word 'fluke'. (If you read the article, you'll understand the code word).

Can he really do it? While I'm not searching for him, I find the whole prospect very interesting. It's kind of like a whodunnit, but...not really. Plus, with $5,000 up for grabs, that could change someone's day in a real big way.

Here are some links to websites/FB groups/blogs what have you. Check out the original article and maybe join in on the search!






Various Twitter Feeds -





After having read the article, I realized there is no way I could ever pull one off. I'd miss my family way way way too much, plus living a solitary life with no connection to the past would just be too hard.

Peace, love and happy hunting! :)

3 comments:

  1. How interesting!! He must be getting sponsored somehow to do that... since being gone for 30 days would be really hard with no income...

    I wonder if anyone will find him?

    Love the blog background! :-)

    P.S. - I will have that theme song "where in the world is Carmen Sandiego" stuck in my head the rest of the day. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a freelance writer and I think his editor at Wired will have a 'story' out of it in the end, whether being caught or not. Perhaps he received an advance on that story or something like that. I don't know!

    I love the blog background too! It's so fun! I like the stripes and the buttons and the ribbon and the colors...perhaps that's why I made it my background, ha!

    P.S. I also had the Carmen Sandiego song stuck in my head for most of last night. I LOVED that show but haven't seen it in a really long time. Oh the memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that 'Man on the Run' song stuck in my head now. Well...I googled it to see who sang it and couldn't find a song named 'Man on the Run' that was what I was talking about it.

    I then discovered the name of the song is 'Band on the Run' by Paul McCartney. I guess I always heard 'man'...interesting. Link to a YouTube video below...just in case you felt like listening.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7D65IomNYY

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails